JOHN BUSBEE, CFM
1347 NW 104th Street, Clive, IA 50325
Summary of Assets
More than 25 years experience in fund-raising, development, performing arts, marketing, sales and management, providing a comprehensive foundation for developing new initiatives, enhancing existing programs and economizing organizational process. Excellent reputation for building successful collaborative projects and instilling in sponsors and contributors a strong sense of value for their support. Published writer. Excellent skills in developing structure in which established committees and delegation most effectively accomplish project goals. Adept at managing multiple projects and responsibilities. Mission and project oriented approach with proven results.
Feb 1998 to Present Cultural, Film and Community Creative Projects Developer
(Fundraising, Development, Film Production, Special Events, Writing, Marketing, Communication, Coordination)
· Founder/host/producer of The Culture Buzz, an independent media voice that serves as a gateway to the Greater Des Moines cultural scene. His weekly arts & culture program, The Culture Buzz, broadcast on KFMG-LP 99.1 FM, serving the Greater Des Moines market with long format talk show, opinion, review, preview and cultural news.
· Film & video production experience, leveraging almost 30 years experience in Iowa to most effectively and efficiently serve the needs of production companies. Credits include Iowa Locations Manager for $25M SAG production, THE CRAZIES, Iowa Production Coordinator for $3.2M SAG production, SOUTH DAKOTA THE MOVIE, Producer/Writer/Coordinator for series of Iowa parent education videos featuring GregAlan Williams, and local, regional and national commercials and training films. Other select project credits include production/location manager (Original Productions, CA), production liaison (EIC Inc., CA/IA), production support (Paul Raimondi, CA).
· Adept and creative writer, including contributing writer for DSM Magazine, and as Contributing Editor and Senior Feature Writer for Art Scene, statewide monthly independent magazine covering Iowa’s cultural and arts scene. Have significantly expanded base (advertising, communities involved, increased statewide network of qualified contributors) for publication. Key in developing editorial philosophy strengthening Art Scene’s role as first monthly publication.
· After serving as Director for 2006 Iowa Fringe Festival, continuing leadership role in establishing Festival as an independent non-profit in 2007. Increased attendance by 30%, revenue/income by 25% over inaugural year. Festival receives national/international attention. 2006 event drew people from 16 Iowa counties, 5 states and Canada; more than doubled participating companies and attendance in 2007.
· Developer for Diversity Conference, an annual statewide event, since it was founded in 2003. Attendance to initial event exceeded projections by more than 60%, with growth each year thereafter. Fund-raising efforts netted a surplus of capital for the 2004 project. Still involved with project, establishing statewide collaborative outreach project – Iowa Mosaic Mural Project – that connects 23 Iowa communities and their regions to the Diversity Conference.
· Director and founder of Iowa Arts Jam, a statewide celebration of the best of Iowa’s visual and performing arts at Iowa’s premier event, the Iowa State Fair. Developed the three elements of Iowa Arts Jam: Art Under the Tent, Performing Artists Showcase at Cultural Center’s Courtyard Stage, and the Fiesta Latina Night at the Bill Riley Stage.
· Fund-raiser & Coordinator for I’ll Make Me a World in Iowa, a statewide celebration of African-American arts, culture and contributions, for project’s first 4 years (1998-2001). Annual Celebration Day and on-going educational outreach activities. Still serve on Advisory Board. Collaboration of over 30 cultural and social service organizations and agencies. Recruited multiple sponsors, including presenting sponsor, United Parcel Service, which provided $43,000.
· Special Projects Developer for Des Moines Public Schools Adult Education, including producing 3 part parent education “Kids, Alcohol & Other Drugs” video series with Emmy Award-winning actor GregAlan Williams ($100,000 project) and collaborative Summer READ program ($25,000 project). These parent education videos became part of the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative, where work continues in developing sustainability strategies for programs.
· Produced outdoor fundraiser concert for American veterans on Court Avenue Bridge, The Doobie Brothers. Responsibilities included overall development and management of event, coordinated media/press interaction and developed volunteer staff of over 200.
· Executive Director for Des Moines Art District. Achievements include founding of organization, creating Business Plan, multiple grant acquisitions ($500-20,000 range), secured $10,000 NEA grant for cultural assessment, Board and Member development, program creation and development, such as Artists Emporium (art gallery), Summer In The City, HeARTland Collaborations, Art on the Spot, Artista Barista, and Farmers Market Demonstration Program. Produced successful exhibition events for groups of emerging artists. Created and implemented schedule of diverse cultural activities which attracted and involved more than 170,000 people in the core downtown area of Des Moines. During its 10+ year history, direct gross income Des Moines Art District artists earned exceeded $600,000.
Fundraising, writing, special events creation and development, strategic planning, multiple project development and management, marketing, creative development, promotions, assessment & evaluation.
Jul 1997 to Feb 1998 Development Director, American Cancer Society
Netted over $80,000 from Sep 1997 Kevin Scieszinski Relay for Life event, 21% increase from 1996.
Responsible for $450,000 annual budget, fundraising; event development & management, volunteer development, corporate relations & development, managed 2 FT staff. Developed and managed several fundraising programs and events.
Sep 1994 to Jul 1997 Development Coordinator, Easter Seal Society of Iowa, Inc.
· Fundraised, produced and scripted 1995 Telethon, which raised more than $200,000
· Developed Heartland Brew Fest into $65,000 fundraiser in 1997, involving more than 450 volunteers
Fundraising, event development & management, volunteer development, corporate relations & development.
Oct 1993 to Aug 1994 Marketing Coordinator, Des Moines Club
Created first Civic Center partnership with actors appearing at Club for Members event (“Sesame Street Live”).
Assist General Manager, develop member events, member development, communications & newsletter.
Jan 1990 to Oct 1993 Marketing/Development Consultant
“Iowa Parent” magazine, Des Moines Public Schools Community/Adult & Continuing Education, Drama Workshop, Old Creamery Theatre Company, Orchard Place
Jan 1991 to Aug 1992 Development Director, Health Ministries Association
· Acquired for $225,000 Kellogg Foundation sub-grant through Northwest Aging Association for organization operation
· Expanded national membership base and communications
Fundraising, coordinating all development & administrative activities at national office, national board connections
Apr 1987 to Jan 1990 Group Sales Director, Ingersoll Dinner Theater
Increased existing and new group attendance
Apr 1976—Feb 1987 Partner, Music/Theatre Artists
Achievements include: Developed touring company from entertainment company for Adventureland Park into national touring company with $250,000 annual payroll; touring, from Las Vegas to New York, included 5-wk. USO Tour in Caribbean, rated ‘best in 20 years.’
Education & Professional Training Skills & Affiliations
attended U. of Iowa (Arts Management & Theatre Design) Strong Writing, Presentation & Communication Skills
Certified Festival Manager (U. of Minnesota) Terrace Hill Foundation Board Director
Past Board Member for West Des Moines Rotary Club
Cultural Services Network Board Director (statewide)
Heritage Art Gallery Board Director
Greater Des Moines CVB Film Commission Director
KFMG 99.1 FM community radio Advisory Board Member
Iowa Cultural Coalition Board Director
Imagine Iowa 2010 Delegate (since founded in 2001)
Iowa Tourism District Delegate for legislative advocacy
Extensive professional and community performing credits